India experiences summer for more than 8 months during the year. Talk of February and March and it gets unbearably harsh. The Municipalities often launch awareness campaigns and warn citizens against exposure to sun for long hours. Dieticians pen columns on appropriate food habits to cultivate during the season. A general advice that we've been used to getting since always is drink more water and keep your system hydrated.
We, at Mishtann Foods, have also been introducing new recipes through articles and blogs online. Before we present to you a Summer Special Recipe, here are some very important precautions we suggest to protect you from the raging sun.
- Always use an umbrella and avoid exposure to direct sunlight.
- Use a good quality sun screen lotion/ cream to protect your skin from UV and other harmful radiations and skin burn.
- Increase water intake.
- Consume buttermilk, lassi and fruit juices.
- Get a pair of good shades to protect your eyes from intense sunlight.
Now, coming to the recipe. Head Chef at Mishtann specially presents this recipe to cool down the Summer heat.
DRY FRUIT RICE KHEER
Crunchy dry fruits folded into the warmth of sweetened rice and flavoured with the subtleness of Indian spices.
- Mishtann Basmati Rice - 200 gm or 1 cup (as per US ratio) (rinsed twice and soaked for 1 hr)
- Milk - 1 liter
- Condensed milk - 3 tbsp. or as per requirement
- Cinnamon powder - 1 tsb.
- Cardamom powder - 1 tsp.
- Cashews - 30 gm chopped
- Almonds - 15 gm chopped
- Walnuts - 15 gm chopped
- Pistachios - 15 gm chopped
- Raisins - 15 gm chopped
- Butter - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Heat some butter in a cooking Vessel. Add dry fruits and cook until it turns golden brown. Keep aside.
- Heat the milk. Add soaked and drained Mishtann Basmati Rice with long grains and a mesmerising aroma.
- Add condensed milk, cinnamon powder and cardamom powder.
- Continue to stir over low heat.
- Cook till the Basmati Rice is done. Stir continuously. Fold in the dry fruits and continue to cook over low heat for another 2-3 mins.
- Season it with salt as per taste.
- Serve COLD!
- Garnish with Rose petals and add an extra layer of happiness! Enjoy!